The Correlation of Serum Calcium Level and Obesity; Is There Any Explanation?
AbstractBackground: Obesity is caused by several factors while sedentary lifestyle and excessive energy intake are the most important ones. Obesity could be due to abnormal calcium metabolism, and a high calcium intake may prevent obesity. Studying serum calcium level, albumin, and triglyceride concentrations, we searched for probable correlation between serum calcium level and anthropometric data of the participants.Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional study was performed in 2011 in Shiraz Endocrine and Metabolism Research Center on 468 participants. Anthropometrics and serum levels of calcium, albumin, and triglyceride levels were measured, recorded, and analyzed by SPSS statistical software.Results: 329 participants were female (70.3%) and the remaining were male (29.7%) with mean age of 46.08 ±15.22 years old. Corrected plasma concentration of calcium based on albumin level had a significant relation with weight, BMI, and triglyceride levels.Conclusion: It is assumed that obesity induces the production of inflammatory cytokines which stimulates bone absorption by osteoclasts that might subsequently lead to a higher serum calcium level in obese people who have a high level of triglyceride at the same time.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).